Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's Your New Year's Resolution? Ugh, I Don't Make Them

New Year’s resolutions aren’t my thing. To me, it seems like they are made to be broken so why make them. Now I’ll admit I use to make them. The ones I remember all involved some weight loss goal I failed to reach. So I gave up on resolutions years ago but not my commitment to a healthy lifestyle.

For years I struggled with my weight and body image issues. I was always one of the bigger kids in class since I was so tall. As young as 8 years old, I felt fat. I pretty much outgrew children’s clothes by third grade and could barely fit junior’s clothes by middle school.

Secretly I tried to lose weight. I ordered diet books advertised in the back of fashion magazines. I ordered exercise books from Scholastic Book Club. One time I tried starving myself. That didn’t last long. After about 8 hours, I had a bad headache and felt weak. I told myself that was not the method for me. In college, I would work out sporadically with little success. I was 50 pounds overweight when I graduated.

It turns out living on my own was good for me. I still had crappy eating habits at first – pizza and cereal were staples of my diet – but I wasn’t eating as much. When I started working third shift, the excess weight fell off. Fast forward nine years and I’m at a healthy weight and have an active lifestyle. Organic foods make up the bulk of my diet. I eat junk food in moderation and exercise 200 – 300 minutes a week.

So no resolutions for me – just a continued commitment to living a healthy lifestyle, something we can all commit to.

No comments:

Post a Comment