Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow, Snow, Go Away

So what’s up with all this snow? I know it is winter and all but the white stuff has worn out its welcome. Now don’t get me wrong, snow is cool when it’s a few inches and sticks around for a day or two. But when it comes in one foot increments, it gets in the way of my outdoor running routine.

Thirty-two degrees use to be my outdoor running temperature threshold, now it is 20 degrees. I don’t mind running in flurries but a blizzard? I don’t think so. Plus I get annoyed when people don’t shovel their sidewalks. I end up having to slow down to stay on my feet and off the ground.

So I’ve been stuck in treadmill land since the beginning of February. I know treadmill training has its benefits – consistent pace, speed work, intervals, hills – but there are times when I feel like a hamster on a wheel dying to break free.

So snow, you must go. Darn groundhog and your six more weeks of winter.

How are you battling the winter running blues?

2 comments:

  1. My outdoor running temp threshold has also sunk quite a ways over the last couple months. I used to think I wouldn't run below freezing, but I've now run at 15 degrees with a windchill of 3. The snow, however, is the one thing that keeps me inside at times. If it's too slushy or slippery, it's just not worth the faceplant risk. When it's just the cold, though, I bundle myself up in all kinds of sweat-wicking layers and think about post-run hot chocolate, hot shower, and a nap. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @KBam - I feel you. It's probably in the teens when I'm running in a head wind. Sometimes my toes are numb by the time I'm done. Snow really slows me down but there are times when I risk it to get a break from the dreaded treadmill. Thanks for the comment and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete