Sunday, April 4, 2010

Running Bra Blues

An essential part of a woman’s running gear is a good sports bra. You gotta support “the girls.” But when you’re blessed up top like I am, a good sports bra is hard to find.

To be fair, I have challenges finding everyday bras, not just running bras. Usually I can only shop at Nordstrom, Macy’s or locally-owned specialty stores. No trips to Victoria’s Secret for me. When you’re slim and rock a G cup, yes I said G cup, your options are limited.

My trusty non-running running bra is one of those old school numbers that has straps in the front and four hooks in the back. But when I put that puppy on, I am locked and loaded. I look like Dolly Parton, “the girls” are so high. But the bra isn’t cute so I can’t where tanks and singlets because it will show.

This year I decided I would start hunting for an alternative. So far this has involved buying sports bras for DD and DDD and seeing if they’ll work.

My first purchase was the CW-X Xtra Support Bra. When I put it on, I had this huge uniboob. I jumped up and down and jogged in place in the fitting room and it seemed okay so I bought it. My first run in the bra went well. I ran 4 miles outdoors in 30 degree temperatures. There was some bounce but it wasn’t unbearable. But when I used the bra indoors on the treadmill, the heat of the room caused me to sweat more which resulted in friction burns along my collar bone. Can you say ouch? So that bra has been designated a workout and not a running bra.

My second purchase came out of a Road Runner Sports catalog. I saw the Women’s Intensity Tank Bra Top and figured I’d give it a try. It can be worn under shirts or alone giving me more options for cute running tops. My first run in the tank bra top was 3 miles outdoors in 70 degree weather. I noticed the bounce when I started running but it wasn’t too bad. By the end of the run, the bra wasn’t on my mind. So far no friction burns but I have to see how it holds up on longer runs.

The next bra I plan to try, I’m going to order from a specialty shop. It’s made by a European company called Freya. It makes sports bras in G cups so hopefully their bras will provide a better fit and offer more support. In the meantime, I’m going to keep running in my old faithful old school bra. A Diva’s gotta do what a Diva’s gotta do to keep running.

2 comments:

  1. The friction burns finally showed up after a 10 mile run while wearing the RRS Women's Intensity Tank Bra Top. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to try wearing both sports bras at the same time and so far haven't had any problems. My longest run with them on so far was 7 miles.

    ReplyDelete