Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Running Year in Review

As I reflect on 2009, my second full year of running, I can truly say I’ve come a long way. I started the year a middle distance virgin, seeking to keep up with my running buddies. Three half marathons later (2:15, 2:10 and 2:06), I’m inching closer to a sub-2 hour time. The training and the traveling was so much fun. Somehow getting up at 4:30 a.m. to run is so much easier when you have good people to do it with. And the trips were great, filled with expos and running and racing chats. The high lasted for weeks after each race was over.

2009 also marked the year I ran my fastest 5K in 28:11. A proud feat for me since my year long training focus has been running long, not necessarily fast and short. My previous 5K record was 30:05.

This year also came with a cross country relocation, which took me away from my running circle. I had to develop a new group of running friends (and I’m still working on that one). A new job threatened my ability to fit in runs during the work week but I’m doing a little better now. I plan to adjust my work hours in the new year to better accommodate my training.

Running has continued to be good for my health. In 2009 my cholesterol level fell 20 points and my blood pressure is on the low side of normal. Plus I made it through the year without getting a cold or the flu.

And I finished 2009 with 1,000 miles under my belt. An amazing accomplishment for me since I had no clue I would get there when I started the year. All in all, running has been good to me. How did running treat you in 2009?

No comments:

Post a Comment