Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What’s Next!

So I was on a real high last week after setting a new half marathon personal record during the Nationwide Better Health Columbus Marathon. Friends from all over the country congratulated me and it made me feel good. But now what? Do I sign up for another half marathon? Do I set my sights on a PR in a different distance? What’s a diva to do?


When I walked through the race expo, I picked up brochures for several races in the Midwest next year. I spent some time looking through the materials towards the end of last week to see which races peaked my interest. A few sounded pretty cool. The OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon in Indianapolis includes a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Participants in the Dick’s Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon receive a $10 Dick’s Sporting Goods gift card and Nike technical shirt and socks. The Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon course takes you through historic Churchill Downs and runners and a guest receive complimentary Churchill Downs admission plus it’s during Derby Week – can you say par-ty. And I’ve wanted to do a Rock ‘n’ Roll race for a while – Nashville or Chicago. But I’ve also had my sights set on running the Surf City USA Half Marathon in California in February. So again I say what’s a diva to do?


Right now I think I’m going to focus on speed and endurance training. Starting in November, I plan to do speed and tempo runs on a regular basis to lower my average mile pace. I’ll also continue to do a weekly 8 – 10 mile long run. Hopefully I’ll know by December if I’ll make it to Surf City. If not, there are hundreds of races in 2010 I could run. What are your 2010 racing plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment